Google has kicked off the “Season of Documentation” by supporting open source projects and improving their documentation

Google has kicked off the “Season of Documentation” by supporting open source projects and improving their documentation

Google has announced the launch of Google Season of Docs 2024 (GSoD), an investment program that complements the Summer of Code project, which provides funding to open source projects to hire technical writers and improve project documentation.

The acceptance of applications from organizations to participate in the GSoD 2024 project will begin on February 22 and will continue until April 2, 2024. According to the rules of participation in the program, organizations must submit an application describing the documentation that needs to be created, updated or improved for their project. As part of GSoD 2024, Google will select the most popular projects and provide them with financial support to finalize the documentation.

In fact, the Google Season of Docs provides support for open source projects to improve their documentation and gives professional technical writers an opportunity to gain experience working with open source. The goal of the project is to increase the level of awareness of open source code, documentation and technical literature among all interested parties of the Open Source community in order to create and launch full-fledged projects.

Each selected Google project within the framework of GSoD 2024 will receive from $5,000 to $15,000. The amount that each organization will receive will depend on the needs of the project within the framework of the release of the necessary documentation. Organizations will receive 40% of the grant after hiring a technical writer, and the remaining 60% of the grant will be awarded to them upon successful completion of the GSoD 2024 program.

Google encourages technical writers to work closely with the open source software development community as part of this program, and to help developers solve problems with high-quality documentation. To receive grants from the Google organization, technical writers must be selected by May 22, 2024.

Google has separately released a “Technical Writer’s Guide” to participating in the GSoD 2024 program. There is no formal application process for technical writers in the program. To participate as a technical writer, they will have to work directly with interested organizations that will receive grants from Google.

Google Tip for Tech Writers: Work with the Google Season of Docs repository on GitHub to find organizations that have expressed interest in participating in GSoD 2024.

Related posts